|Privately heldKommanditgesellschaft auf Aktien with an Aktiengesellschaft as general partner|
|Headquarters||London, UK (global)
Berlin, Germany (corporate)
New York City, USA (sales)
|Revenue||Dol 1.72 bn (2019)|
|Owners||Holtzbrinck Publishing Group (53%)
BC Partners (47%)
Number of employees
Springer Nature is a British German academic publishing company created by the May 2015 merger of Springer Science+Business Media and Holtzbrinck Publishing Group's Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, and Macmillan Education. The company made revenues of €1.72 billion in 2019.
History [ edit ]
Springer Nature was formed in 2015 by the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan and Macmillan Education (held by Holtzbrinck Publishing Group) with Springer Science+Business Media (held by BC Partners). Plans for the merger were first announced on 15 January 2015. The transaction was concluded in May 2015 with Holtzbrinck having the majority 53% share.
The company originates from a number of journals and publishing houses, notably Springer-Verlag, which was founded in 1842 by Julius Springer in Berlin (the grandfather of Bernhard Springer who founded Springer Publishing in 1950 in New York), Nature Publishing Group which publishes Nature (journal) since 1869, and Macmillan Education, which goes back to Macmillan Publishers founded in 1843.
After the merger, former Springer Science+Business Media CEO Derk Haank became CEO of Springer Nature. When he retired by the end of 2017, he was succeeded by Daniel Ropers, the co-founder and long-time CEO of bol.com. In September 2019 Daniel Ropers was replaced by Frank Vrancken Peeters.
In 2017, the company agreed to block access to hundreds of articles on its Chinese site, cutting off access to articles on Tibet, Taiwan and China's political elite.
Subsidiaries [ edit ]
- Adis International
- Asser Press
- BioMed Central
- Bohn Stafleu van Loghum
- J. B. Metzler
- Macmillan Education
- Nature Research
- Palgrave Macmillan
- Scientific American
- Springer Healthcare
- Springer VS
- Springer Verlag
- Springer Gabler
- Springer Vieweg Verlag
- Springer Medizin
- Springer Pflege
- Springer Nature Technology and Publishing Solutions
References [ edit ]
- "Springer Nature Group Key Facts". Springer Nature Group. p. 2. Retrieved 2020-03-12.
- "Springer Nature created following merger completion". Springer. 6 May 2015.
- "Nature publisher to merge with Springer". Times Higher Education. 15 January 2015. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- Caroline Carpenter (May 6, 2015). "Completed merger forms 'Springer Nature'". The Bookseller. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- "Springer celebrates 175 years since its founding". KnowledgeSpeak.com. 11 May 2017. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Do you mean Springer, Springer or Springer?". Springer.com. 2014. Archived from the original on 27 December 2016.
- "Nature". Phys.org. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Bol.com's Ropers to take Haank's role at Springer Nature". The Bookseller. 6 May 2015.
- "Springer Nature Announces CEO Succession: Frank Vrancken Peeters appointed Chief Executive Officer. Daniel Ropers to step down. | Corporate Affairs Homepage | Springer Nature". group.springernature.com.
- "The Mystery of the Exiled Billionaire Whistle-Blower". January 10, 2018.
- "Springer Nature reports 15.12% pay gap". www.thebookseller.com. The Bookseller. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
[ edit ]
|This article about a publishing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|