Telecommunications equipment (also telecoms equipment or communications equipment) is a hardware which is used for the purposes of telecommunications. Since the 1990s the boundary between telecoms equipment and IT hardware has become blurred as a result of the growth of the internet and its increasing role in the transfer of telecoms data.
Types [ edit ]
Telecommunications equipment can be broadly broken down into the following categories:
- Public switching equipment
- Transmission equipment
- Customer premises equipment (CPE)
Semiconductors [ edit ]
Most of the essential elements of modern telecommunication are built from MOSFETs (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors), including mobile devices, transceivers, base station modules, routers, RF power amplifiers, microprocessors, memory chips, and telecommunication circuits. As of 2005, telecommunications equipment account for 16.5% of the annual microprocessor market.
Vendors [ edit ]
The world's largest telecommunications equipment vendors by revenues in 2017 are:
See also [ edit ]
- Networking hardware
- List of networking hardware vendors
- List of telephone switches
- Network equipment provider
References [ edit ]
- "Telecoms equipment - We have the technology". The Economist. 1 October 1998. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Twisted pair - Nokia and Siemens pool their network divisions to form a new firm". The Economist. 22 June 2006. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Ypsilanti, Dimitri; Plantin, Amy (1991). Telecommunications Equipment: Changing Markets and Trade Structures. OECD Publishing. p. 16. ISBN 9789264135536.
- Asif, Saad (2018). 5G Mobile Communications: Concepts and Technologies. CRC Press. pp. 128–134. ISBN 9780429881343.
- Colinge, Jean-Pierre; Greer, James C. (2016). Nanowire Transistors: Physics of Devices and Materials in One Dimension. Cambridge University Press. p. 2. ISBN 9781107052406.
- Asthana, Rajiv; Kumar, Ashok; Dahotre, Narendra B. (2006). Materials Processing and Manufacturing Science. Elsevier. p. 488. ISBN 9780080464886.
- "Telecommunication equipment companies ranked by overall revenue in 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)". Statista.com. Retrieved August 8, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Telecommunications equipment.|