Thomas Aquino Manyo Maeda
Thomas Aquino Manyo Maeda
|Archbishop of Osaka|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||20 August 2014|
|Predecessor||Leo Jun Ikenaga|
|Ordination||19 March 1975|
|Consecration||23 September 2011
by Joseph Atsumi Misue
|Created cardinal||28 June 2018
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Thomas Aquino Manyo Maeda|
3 March 1949|
Tsuwasaki, Kami Goto, Japan
|Previous post||Bishop of Hiroshima (2011-14)|
|Motto||Non ministrari sed ministrare (not to be served, but to serve; 仕えられるためではなく、仕えるために)|
|Coat of arms|
Thomas Aquino Manyo Maeda (Japanese: 前田万葉, Hepburn: Maeda Manyō) (born 3 March 1949) is a Japanese prelate of the Catholic Church. He has been Archbishop of Osaka since 2014. He was Bishop of Hiroshima from 2011 to 2014. Pope Francis elevated him to cardinal on 28 June 2018.
Biography [ edit ]
Thomas Aquino Manyo Maeda was born in Tsuwasaki, Kami-Goto, in the prefecture of Nagasaki on 3 March 1949. He studied at the Liceo Nanzan of Nagasaki and entered the Major Seminary Saint Sulpice in Fukuoka. He was ordained on 19 March 1975.
On 13 June 2011, Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Bishop of Hiroshima and he was consecrated a bishop on 23 September 2011. He participated in the peace movement in Hiroshima and campaigned for the beatification of those called "hidden Christians", 3,400 Nagasaki Christians–more than 600 died–exiled to scattered locations throughout Japan in the middle of the nineteenth century by the Japanese government.
Since 2016 he has been Vice-President of the Japanese Episcopal Conference.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Annuncio di Concistoro il 29 giugno per la creazione di nuovi Cardinali, 20.05.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 May 2018. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 13.06.2011" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 13 June 2011. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Japanese archbishop 'shocked' by being named cardinal". La Croix. UCANews. 21 May 2018. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 20.08.2014" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 August 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Concistoro Ordinario Pubblico: Assegnazione dei Titoli, 28.06.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
[ edit ]
- "Maeda Card. Thomas Aquino Manyo". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- Diocese of Osaka (in Japanese)
|Catholic Church titles|
Joseph Atsumi Misue
|Bishop of Hiroshima
23 September 2011 – 20 August 2014
Alexis Mitsuru Shirahama
Leo Jun Ikenaga
|Archbishop of Osaka
20 August 2014 – present
|Cardinal-Priest of Santa Pudenziana
28 June 2018 – present