Toribio Ticona Porco
Toribio Ticona Porco
|Prelate Emeritus of Corocoro|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||4 June 1992|
|Term ended||29 June 2012|
|Predecessor||Jesús Agustín López de Lama|
|Successor||Percy Lorenzo Galvan Flores|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of Santi Gioacchino e Anna al Tuscolano (2018-)|
|Ordination||29 January 1967
by Cleto Loayza Gumiel
|Consecration||31 May 1986
by Santos Abril y Castelló
|Created cardinal||28 June 2018
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Toribio Ticona Porco|
25 April 1937|
Toribio Ticona Porco (Spanish pronunciation: [toˈɾi.βjo tiˈkona ˈpoɾko]; born 25 April 1937) is a Bolivian prelate of the Catholic Church. He was Prelate of the Territorial Prelature of Corocoro from 1992 to 2012 after serving as Auxiliary Bishop of Potosí from 1986 to 1992. Pope Francis made him a cardinal on 28 June 2018.
Biography [ edit ]
Toribio Ticona Porco was born in Atocha in the Potosi Department of Bolivia, on 25 April 1937. He was raised by his mother and never knew his father. He worked shining shoes and selling newspaper, was a bricklayer's assistant and an auto mechanic and worked in a brewery. He became a Catholic under the influence of Belgian missionaries. After working as a miner to support his mother and younger brother, he studied philosophy and theology at the seminary in Sucre and was ordained on 29 January 1967. He did further studies at the Pastoral Institute of CELAM and at the Center Lumen Vitae in Brussels.
On 20 May 2018 Pope Francis announced he would make Ticona a cardinal on 28 June. Ticona learned of the surprise appointment while visiting his mother's grave near Quillacollo. At the 28 June consistory, he was assigned the titular church of Santi Gioacchino ed Anna al Tuscolano. Bolivian President Evo Morales attended the ceremony and said he witnessed the creation of "our first indigenous cardinal and worker" with "profound happiness and joy". As Ticona had already reached the age of 80, he was ineligible to participate in a papal conclave.
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "Annuncio di Concistoro il 29 giugno per la creazione di nuovi Cardinali, 20.05.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 May 2018. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Brief biographical sketches of 14 new cardinals". The Tablet. Catholic News Service. 21 May 2018. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 29.06.2012" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 29 June 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Tornielli, Andrea (20 May 2018). "Concistoro a giugno, ecco i nuovi cardinali di Francesco". La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- Rivera Fernández, Joseph Howard (20 May 2018). "Mons. Toribio P. Ticona es el nuevo Cardenal de la Iglesia en Bolivia". Iglesia Viva (in Spanish). Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "Concistoro Ordinario Pubblico: Assegnazione dei Titoli, 28.06.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Emocionante investidura de Ticona como cardenal, dice Evo Morales". Prensa Latina (in Spanish). 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
[ edit ]
- "Ticona Porco Card. Toribio". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
|Catholic Church titles|
Ramón Darío Molina Jaramillo
| Titular Bishop of Timici
5 April 1986 - 4 June 1992
Francisco Cases Andreu
Jesús Agustín López de Lama
|Prelate of Corocoro
4 June 1992 - 29 June 2012
Percy Lorenzo Galvan Flores
|Cardinal-Priest of Santi Gioacchino e Anna al Tuscolano
28 June 2018 -