This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
(May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Format||Variety student radio|
|HAAT||74.0 meters (242.8 ft)|
|Call sign meaning||Illinois Institute of Technology|
|Former call signs||WOUI (1972–2001)|
|Owner||Illinois Institute of Technology|
The station has an open format and focuses on allowing students and community members to experience broadcast.
History [ edit ]
The station was forced to change its callsign to WOUI in 1972 because WIIT was similar to WAIT (AM). After the WAIT callsign was dropped, the IIT station eventually returned to its original call letters, WIIT, on February 23, 2001.
The station moved to a newly constructed studio in the McCormick Tribune Campus Center in 2004 following a significant alumni donation, and that new studio was renovated once again in 2013.
Shows broadcast by the station as of 2016[update] include a mix of student and community DJs, covering a wide range of musical genres from alternative rock to R&B to experimental noise, and talk topics from contemporary politics to senior citizen advocacy to university history.
References [ edit ]
- "Call Sign History". Washington, D.C.: Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Welcome". Chicago: Illinois Institute of Technology. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
Bellinger, Steve. "Your Memories". Chicago: Illinois Institute of Technology. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
One of my favorite memories was hosting my own program on WIIT Radio 64. I was there when it went FM...
"Announcements"(PDF). Technology News. 91 (2). Chicago: Illinois Institute of Technology. January 28, 1972. p. 4. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
Tune in 7-12pm WIIT 640 AM, 88.9 FM (stereo).
- Gannavarapu, Bhargava (April 2, 2001). "Where Has WOUI Gone?" (PDF). TechNews. 150 (9). Chicago: Illinois Institute of Technology. pp. 1, 3. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Current Schedule". WIIT. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
[ edit ]
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WIIT
- Radio-Locator information on WIIT
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WIIT
|This article about a radio station in Illinois is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|