Wong Tai Sin District
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wong Tai Sin
|Wong Tai Sin District|
Day view of San Po Kong in the Wong Tai Sin District
Location of Wong Tai Sin within Hong Kong
|• District Council Chairman||Hui Kam-shing (ADPL)|
|• District Council Vice-Chairman||Wong Yat-Yuk|
|• District Officer||William Shiu|
|• Total||9.36 km2 (3.61 sq mi)|
|• Density||45,000/km2 (120,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (Hong Kong Time)|
|Largest neighbourhood by population||Tsz Wan Shan (80,935 – 2016 est)|
|Website||Wong Tai Sin District Council|
|Wong Tai Sin District|
|Literal meaning||big yellow immortal district|
Wong Tai Sin District is one of the 18 districts of Hong Kong. It is the only fully landlocked district in Hong Kong. It is located in Kowloon, and is the northernmost district in Kowloon. It borders the districts of Kwun Tong to its southeast, Kowloon City to its southwest, Sai Kung to its east, and Sha Tin to its north.
Geography [ edit ]
The district contains the areas of Diamond Hill, Wang Tau Hom, Lok Fu, Chuk Yuen, Wong Tai Sin, Tsz Wan Shan, Fung Wong, Choi Hung and Choi Wan, an area that includes several major public housing estates.
Demographics [ edit ]
Wong Tai Sin District has a population of 444,630 (2001 figures). The district has the least educated residents with the lowest income, the oldest residents and the second highest population density. Over 85% of the district's residents live in public housing.
Religion [ edit ]
The district derives its name from the Wong Tai Sin Temple, dedicated to Wong Tai Sin, which is located there. The district is also the location of the Chi Lin Nunnery, built in the Tang Dynasty style, a popular tourist attraction.
Education [ edit ]
Schools in Wong Tai Sin District include:
- Our Lady's Primary School (聖母小學), established in 1953
- Wong Tai Sin Catholic Primary School (黃大仙天主教小學), established in 1962.
- Bishop Walsh Primary School (華德學校), established in 1963.
- Baptist Rainbow Primary School (浸信會天虹小學), established in 1984.
Transport [ edit ]
Wong Tai Sin is served by Lung Cheung Road and the Kwun Tong line of the MTR metro system. The stations are Lok Fu, Wong Tai Sin, Diamond Hill and Choi Hung. The old airport was located just behind this district.
Gallery [ edit ]
See also [ edit ]
References [ edit ]
- "2011 Population Census: Summary Results" (in English and Chinese). Census and Statistics Department, Hong Kong Government. 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Summary of Provisional Recommendations for Wong Tai Sin District(PDF), Hong Kong Government, July 2019, retrieved 15 April 2020
[ edit ]
- Wong Tai Sin District Council
- District Council Election 2007 - Electoral Boundary Maps - Wong Tai Sin (6.7MB pdf file)
- Wong Tai Sin 黃大仙 Articles on, and photos and videos of, the district and places accessible from Wong Tai Sin station.