Xujiahui Business District
Xuhui in Shanghai
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
The Xuhui District is centred on Xujiahui, after which it is named. Xujiahui was historically land owned by Ming dynasty bureaucrat and scientist Xu Guangqi, and later donated to the Roman Catholic Church. Being the core of Catholic Shanghai, the Xuhui District formed, together with neighbouring Luwan District, the former French Concession of Shanghai. Vestiges of the French influence can still be seen in the St. Ignatius Cathedral of Shanghai, Xuhui College, the Xujiahui Observatory, and some remaining boulevards and French-style districts.
Parts of today's Xuhui District were once the premier residential districts of Shanghai. After the revolution, however, the large estates near Xujiahui were turned into factories. In the 1990s, the Shanghai municipal government developed the district as a commercial zone. A once-prominent commercial area in the district was the Xiangyang Crafts and Gifts Market, a haven for souvenirs and intellectual property-infringing products; it was closed on June 30, 2006 by municipal authorities.
Xujiahui itself has been redeveloped as a commercial centre, with a proliferation of large-scale shopping centres and department stores. Now it is a major shopping destination in the city, with shopping malls such as Grand Gateway Shanghai and Pacific Sogo.
The educational tradition begun by Jesuits in Xuhui continues with Shanghai Jiao Tong University, the premier university in China. The district also has some of the best secondary schools in the municipality, such as South West Weiyu Middle School, Shanghai High School and Nanyang Model High School.
A number of former residences of prominent personalities remain, including Soong Ching-ling and Sun Yat-sen's former residence. Yao Ming of Houston Rockets was a resident of the district. Luo "Ferrari 430" Feichi lives in Xuhui.
Xuhui District has 12 sub-districts and two townships.
Economy [ edit ]
Home Inn has its headquarters in Xuhui. Yum China has its headquarters in the Yum China Building (Chinese: 百胜中国大厦; pinyin: Bǎishèng Zhōngguó Dàshà) in Xuhui District. Toei Animation Shanghai has its head office in Unit 807 of Feidiao International Plaza in the district.
Township-level subdivisions [ edit ]
Xuhui District has twelve subdistricts, one town and one special township-level division.
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Shanghainese Romanization||Population (2010)||Area (km2)|
|Caohejing Subdistrict||漕河泾街道||Cáohéjīng Jiēdào||dzo wu cin ga do||97,917||5.26|
|Changqiao Subdistrict||长桥街道||Chángqiáo Jiēdào||tzan djio ga do||118,872||15.3|
|Fenglin Road Subdistrict||枫林路街道||Fēnglínlù Jiēdào||fon lin lu ga do||112,400||2.69|
|Hongmei Road Subdistrict||虹梅路街道||Hóngméilù Jiēdào||ron me lu ga do||34,877||5.98|
|Hunan Road Subdistrict||湖南路街道||Húnánlù Jiēdào||wu neu lu ga do||36,281||1.72|
|Kangjian Xincun Subdistrict||康健新村街道||Kāngjiàn Xīncūn Jiēdào||khaon dji sin tsen ga do||100,444||4.07|
|Lingyun Road Subdistrict||凌云路街道||Língyún lù Jiēdào||lin yun lu ga do||108,582||3.58|
|Longhua Subdistrict||龙华街道||Lónghuá Jiēdào||lon rau ga do||85,769||6.53|
|Tianlin Subdistrict||田林街道||Tiánlín Jiēdào||di lin ga do||97,171||4.19|
|Tianping Road Subdistrict||天平路街道||Tiānpínglù Jiēdào||thi bin lu ga do||60,533||2.69|
|Xietu Road Subdistrict||斜土路街道||Xiétǔlù Jiēdào||zia thu lu ga do||69,710||2.67|
|Xujiahui Subdistrict||徐家汇街道||Xújiāhuì Jiēdào||xi ga we ga do||92,915||4.04|
|Huajing town||华泾镇||Huájīng Zhèn||rau cin tzen||67,415||8.04|
|Caohejing Hi-tech Park||漕河泾新兴技术开发区||Cáohéjīng Xīnxīng Jìshù Kāifāqū||dzo wu cin sin xin djij dzeq khe faq chiu||2,244||10.70|
Transportation [ edit ]
Metro [ edit ]
- Line 1 - Jinjiang Park, Shanghai South Railway Station , Caobao Road, Shanghai Indoor Stadium , Xujiahui , Hengshan Road, Changshu Road
- Line 3 - Shanghai South Railway Station , Shilong Road, Longcao Road, Caoxi Road, Yishan Road
- Line 4 - Yishan Road , Shanghai Stadium
- Line 7 - Changshu Road , Zhaojiabang Road , Dong'an Road , Middle Longhua Road
- Line 9 - Caohejing Hi-Tech Park, Guilin Road, Yishan Road , Xujiahui , Zhaojiabang Road , Jiashan Road
- Line 10 - Jiaotong University , Shanghai Library
- Line 11 - Longyao Road, Yunjin Road, Longhua, Shanghai Swimming Center, Xujiahui
- Jinshan railway - Shanghainan Station
Education [ edit ]
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2017)
Schools in Xuhui District include:
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University 
- East China University of Science and Technology 
- Shanghai Normal University 
- Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Shanghai Conservatory of Music 
- Nan Yang Model High School (上海市南洋模范中学)
- Shanghai Nanyang High School (上海市南洋中学)
- Shanghai Xuhui High School (上海市徐匯中學)
- Shanghai Weiyu High School (上海市位育高级中学)
- Shanghai Southwest Weiyu Middle School
- Shanghai High School 
- Shanghai No. 2 High School
- Shanghai Fifty-forth High School (上海市第五十四中学)
- High School Attached to Shanghai Normal University (上海师范大学附属中学) original campus
References [ edit ]
- "Population and Employment". shanghai.gov.cn. Shanghai Municipal People's Government. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- "Investor Relations Home." Home Inn. Retrieved on February 18, 2013. "Headquarters Home Inns & Hotels Management Inc. No.124 Cao Bao Road, Xu Hui District Shanghai 200235, PRC" - Chinese address: "上海市徐汇区漕宝路124号"
"Contact Us". Yum China. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
20 Tianyaoqiao Road, Shanghai 200030, P. R. China- Address in Chinese: "上海市天钥桥路20号百胜中国大厦 邮编：200030 "
- "AFFILIATED COMPANIES Archived December 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine." Toei Animation. Retrieved on November 17, 2011. "Unit807, Feidiao International Plaza, No.1065, Zhaojiabang Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, China"
"Contact Us". Web International English. 2013-03-09. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
5F, Jianhui Building, No.922 Hengshan Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai- Chinese address: "地址：上海市衡山路922号建汇大厦35层 邮编：200030"
- 徐汇区-行政区划网 www.xzqh.org (in Chinese). XZQH. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- Census Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China; Population and Employment Statistics Division of the National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China (2012). 中国2010人口普查分乡、镇、街道资料 (1 ed.). Beijing: China Statistics Print. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- 上海交通大学. www.sjtu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 华东理工大学. www.ecust.edu.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 上海师范大学. www.shnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- shutcm - 首 页. www.shutcm.edu.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 上海音乐学院. www.shcmusic.edu.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 上海特蓝信息:为客户着想,帮客户盈利. 上海市南洋模范中学，民办南模，中学国际课程，招生一览. www.nanmo.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 上海市徐汇中学欢迎您. xhzx.xhedu.sh.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 位育中学. www.weiyu.sh.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 上海中学欢迎您. www.shs.sh.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 首页 - 上海市第五十四中学. wszx.xhedu.sh.cn. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- Home. High School Attached to Shanghai Normal University. April 8, 2012. Retrieved on April 26, 2019. Address indicating Xuhui District on bottom-left of the page. "徐汇区佳林路120号"
Further reading [ edit ]
[ edit ]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xuhui District.|